Sales of variable annuities to senior citizens and tens of thousands of Americans continue, despite concerns regarding their suitability and appropriateness. The top insurance company sales of variable annuity products include Prudential Annuities, MetLife, Jackson National Life, Lincoln Financial Group, AXA Equitable, AIG Companies, Riversource Life Insurance, Nationwide Financial, ING, Aegeon USA, Sun Life Financial, […]Read Post
Tim O'Connor's Blog
On Tuesday, June 28, 2011, the New York State Court of Appeals handed down its decision in ABN AMRO Bank N.V. v. MBIA, Inc., affording victimized insurance policyholders and customers access to the courts for their losses. Notably, the lower court had held that certain preemption provisions under New York State law prevented victimized policyholders […]Read Post
Effective October 3, 2011, the Banking Department and the New York State Insurance Department will soon merge to become the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS). A press release from the New York State Banking Department states: “Integrating these agencies under a single leadership and management structure will allow for greater efficiency and […]Read Post
1. Do they carry liability insurance and fidelity bonding in the event that your account is abused or your funds are embezzled? 2. What professional certifications does the advisor have? 3. Does the brokerage firm or clearing firm with whom your advisor domiciles and custodies your account have adequate financial backing in the event […]Read Post
For the past ten years tens of thousands of stockbrokers have left brokerage firms to become independent registered investment advisors. So what’s the difference? Stockbrokers are required to be registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, a self-regulatory existing under the auspices of the Securities and Exchange Commission. FINRA maintains a comprehensive set of […]Read Post
Have a Question?
- SEC Issues Required Investor Disclosures for Variable Annuities and Variable Life Insurance Contracts
- Airbnb Guest Injuries
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Agrees to $5,000,000 Settlement Fund to Benefit Harmed Investors
- Will Contests – Have You Been Shorted by Trickery Involving a Loved One’s Estate?
- Class Action Lead Plaintiff is Successful in Thwarting Effort of Massachusetts Mutual Seeking to Dismiss Claims