The Office of Investor Education and Advocacy of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission recently issued an Investor Bulletin entitled, “15 Investment Tips for 2015.” The Bulletin highlights a number of suggestions and warnings, including the following:
- Check the background of your investment professional – it’s easy and free. For investment advisors: For FINRA’s BrokerCheck for stockbrokers:
- Promises of high returns, with lower risk are a warning sign of possible trouble.
- The need to assure diversification of assets to reduce overall risk in an investment portfolio.
- Active and frequent trading in your account can undermine your overall investment performance.
- Con artists are experts at the art of persuasion over the telephone and utilize a number of well-tried tricks to pressure investors into investing.
- Social media presents opportunities for fraudsters to lure investors into a wide range of investment scams.
- It can be risky to invest heavily in shares of only one stock.
We offer a free initial consultation to investors, who feel that they have been victimized in the financial markets.
The Law Offices of Timothy J. O’Connor practices securities law in the Tri-City Capital District of Albany, Schenectady and Troy. We also represent victimized investors throughout the rest of New York State, including Buffalo, Binghamton, Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, Utica, Kingston, Poughkeepsie, New York City/Manhattan, Long Island, and everywhere in between, as well as in the surrounding states of Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and New Jersey.