On August 31, 2015, the SEC Office of Investor Education and Advocacy issued a
bulletin to educate investors about the risks of non-traded REITs. The bulletin noted many of
the downsides associated with non-traded REIT’s for small investors, including the following:
- Lack of liquidity/inability to be readily sold in the marketplace at a favorable
- High fees – As high as 15% of the offering price.
- Distributions coming from principal – Not actual income earned by the underlying
- Lack of share value transparency – No market price readily available and inability
to assess the value or performance for significant time periods.
- Conflicts of interest – High transaction fees paid to external managers also having
interests contrary to those of shareholders, including fees and income based on the value of
property acquisitions and assets under management. Additionally, external managers may be affiliated
with competing companies.
We offer free initial consultation to investors who feel they may have
been victimized with the inappropriate sale of a REIT investment. For a free initial
consultation, please contact the Law Offices of Timothy J. O’Connor at (518) 426-7700.
Have a Question?
"*" indicates required fields
- A Successful Will Contest
- SEC Issues Required Investor Disclosures for Variable Annuities and Variable Life Insurance Contracts
- Airbnb Guest Injuries
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Agrees to $5,000,000 Settlement Fund to Benefit Harmed Investors
- Will Contests – Have You Been Shorted by Trickery Involving a Loved One’s Estate?